It is the intent of Hurstbourne Tarrant CE Primary School for Design Technology to be taught in all year groups in an inspiring, engaging and practical nature, which is meaningful in context. Design Technology projects are taught as part of our topic based curriculum, linking to other subjects. Design Technology in our school allows pupils to design and create products that solve real and relevant problems, considering their own and others’ needs, interests or preferences.
- Teachers have an understanding of the skills that are needed to be taught for a purpose
- Children are required to work through the process of design, make and evaluate in each project - each unit will consider the user, purpose, functionality, design decisions, innovation and authenticity of the project children are being asked to undertake
- Risk taking is encouraged in Design Technology as well as being resourceful, innovative and enterprising
- Children are given high quality and engaging opportunities to work as individuals, part of a group and a whole class, focusing on the skills and knowledge of Design Technology that is suitable for their age and stage
- Design Technology is monitored by the subject leader, headteacher and governors throughout the year in the form of observations and pupil interviews to discuss learning and understanding - establishing the impact of the teaching taking place